Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: Suicidal GPRS pricing puts 3G at risk

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 20:06:27 -0400

From: "the terminal of Geoff Goodfellow" <geoff () iconia com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

typical Telco Thinking, re: GPRS prices.

I really understood this mentality via a friend who lives in France and
wanted to get a leased-line internet connection into his house.  Farce
Telecom's pricing model? Take the cost of a regular dialup phone call
between points A & B, multiply by number of minutes in a day and then
multiply that by 30 (days) and there is the cost of your leased-line -- just
the same as if you dialed up thru the PSTN for the same amount of time!!!

Their thinking is that if we didn't do it This Way, there would be a "lost
(revenue) opportunity".

GPRS prices seem to follow the same "logic" -- how much does a circuit
switched GSM data call cost per minute?  How much data can you push thru a
circuit switched data call in a minute?  that that value and calculate your
GPRS rates so you don't incur a "lost (revenue) opportunity" when your (so
few) customers change their method of transport from circuit switched to
GPRS!!

geoff.goodfellow () iconia com, Prague CZ * tel/mobil +420 (0)603 706 558
"success is getting what you want & happiness is wanting what you get"
http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/99/01/biztech/articles/17drop.html

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/