Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: IMMEDIATE DANGER: if you are running Windows NT or 2000

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 16:50:12 -0400

Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 16:12:43 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: David Chessler <chessler () usa net>
Subject: Fwd: IMMEDIATE DANGER: if you are running Windows NT or 2000

* Original: FROM..... Dick Atlee

[with apologies for cross-posting]

I imagine most of you by now have seen coverage of the Code Red worm.

   Ignore this message if you are NOT running Windows NT or Windows 2000.

   Ignore this message if you ARE running NT or 2000 and have taken
     action to protect your machine against Code Red.

If you ARE running NT or 2000 and have not taken action, please do so
today, NOW.  By 8PM tonight, if you haven't, and your machine is on
the Internet, you may very likely become a contributor to what may
become a serious slowdown of the Internet and/or attacks on major
Internet sites.

The major Internet security firms and Microsoft have cooperated in
issuing an emergency alert on the steps that must be taken to determine
if you are at risk, and what to do about it.  I've put it up on the
MDK-12 web site at

          http://www.inform.umd.edu/mdk-12/codered.html

Please go there and follow the instructions at the DigitalIsland site
to put this ongoing risk behind you.  Thanks.

Dick

Dick Atlee -- K-12 Outreach -- OIT/University of Maryland
OIT Help Desk Staff -- helpdesk () umail umd edu --

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/