Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Dvorak Commentary

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 19:31:18 -0400

Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 17:44:49 -0500
From: Steve Cohen <stevecoh1 () home com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: Dvorak Commentary

Interesting but not at all convincing.

High tech people appear to have political agreement only because they have
historically cared so little about politics.  Is there really a "high-tech
position" about sweatshops, for example?  I doubt it.  High tech people
rarely pause in their own daily activities to ponder issues like
that.  Most of the issues that make up what seems to be the "high-tech
consensus" are only there because high-tech folk haven't thought that much
about them.  It's the classic case of a mile wide and an inch deep.

Did I hear the word "clout" mentioned?  Oh please!  Do you suppose I can
call on my high-tech "clout" to keep me, a 48-year old programmer working
that much longer in the industry when those who actually have some
high-tech clout are using to flood the country with H1B programmers under
the notion that anyone still programming past 30 is washed up like a
football player?  (Hah! - no employer has ever thought me "washed up"
after seeing me in action for awhile - but I do have a hard time with HR
reps whenever I go looking for a new job).

Now on to the techie issues that Dvorak wants us unite around and it's
more of the same.  Yes, I agree with him on all of these issues.  But who
was it who got the Digital Millennium Copyright Act passed in the first
place?  More of my high-tech "union brothers" in action.  The ones with
the clout.  The CEOs, the ones who consciously went about harnessing my
skills to fund their gravy train.  The ones who want to take out patents
on my ideas.

There has been so much money flowing into this field that engineers could
be forgiven for forgetting to notice which side their bread was buttered
on.  It may have been kind of hard to tell sometimes.  However, now that
the spigot has been turned off, they may find it valuable to take a good
hard look at who their friends are.  High-tech is only going to splinter
as a cohesive political group under these conditions.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/