Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Technology Pros Discuss What Comes After the Fall

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 17:17:06 -0400

I will wonder out loud what enables these folks to now predict the future
given they flunked the last test in  predication??? Dave

NY Times:

THE American economy may or may not be in a recession but
the information technology industry surely is, with no sign of an
upturn. Lately, Silicon Valley, fabled for its invention, its
can-do mentality and its dot-com fever, is looking a lot less
fabled.

  For two hours last Monday, four veterans of the valley
Craig R. Barrett, the chief executive of Intel (news/quote); Judith
L. Estrin, a serial entrepreneur who is now chief executive of
Packet Design Inc.; Mitchell E. Kertzman, the chief executive of
Liberate Technologies (news/quote); and Eric E. Schmidt, chairman
of Novell and Google, met at the Garden Court Hotel in Palo
Alto to discuss the state of the high-tech world. Asking the
questions of these executives, who sit on the boards of eight other
companies, all told, were John Markoff, Matt Richtel and Judith H.
Dobrzynski of The Times.

  Overcapacity and its probable longevity was on
their minds. So were intellectual property issues, the lack of
interest in technology among American students and the lack of
interest in innovation in the valley, frustration with Wall Street
analysts and pop-up ads on the Web, even their inability to get
broadband in their homes.

  Following are excerpts from the conversation.JUDITH
H. DOBRZYNSKI

  Q. What's the mood in Silicon Valley? When do you think you might
get out of this downturn?

  BARRETT I'm more concerned about synchronous world recessions than
I am in what's exactly happening in Silicon Valley or the U.S.,
even. The economy's relatively weak, obviously, in the U.S., in the
high-tech sector. It's weak in Europe. It's actually pretty strong
in Latin America. It's strong in the emerging Asian economies
India, China, for example. Over all, we're all operating at
one plateau level down from where we were six to nine months ago.

<snip>

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/29/technology/29ROUN.html

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/