Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: M.I.T. Physicist Says Pentagon Is Trying to Silence Him

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 08:25:02 -0400

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/27/politics/27MISS.html

M.I.T. Physicist Says Pentagon Is  Trying to Silence Him

By JAMES DAO

WASHINGTON, July 26 - A leading critic of the military's missile
defense testing program has accused the Pentagon of trying to
silence him and intimidate his employer, the Massachusetts
Institute of Technology, by investigating him for disseminating
classified documents.

The case has raised questions about whether a document can be
considered secret if it is widely available to the public. And it
has touched off a dispute between the critic, Theodore A. Postol,
and M.I.T. over how to balance academic freedom with the
university's obligations to cooperate with Pentagon investigators.

At issue is correspondence between Dr. Postol, a physicist, and the
General Accounting Office, an investigative branch of Congress, in
which he accused the Pentagon of using doctored data to defend
missile defense technology.

<snip>

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/