Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Microsoft's pgp keys don't verify

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 20:58:16 -0400

Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 19:26:32 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Richard Jay Solomon <rjs () goodread com>
Subject: Re: IP: Microsoft's pgp keys don't verify
Cc: ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com
spam.

For at least four months, Microsoft has been sending out security
bulletins which fail a popular e-mail authentication system. As a
result, the company could be opening the door to counterfeit bulletins
from malicious hackers.
To protect against forgery, Microsoft's security response center
digitally signs its bulletins with PGP before e-mailing them to
subscribers of its security notification service. But since at least
March, if recipients attempt to

Maybe they are forged. Reminds me of the story of the first bankcard ATM
in Atlanta. At the dedication, the first person to put his card in was
rejected. The machine indicated the card was invalid. The embarrassed bank
officials gave him his money from the till. Then after he had vanished
into the crowd, the security people checked their printed  database, and
indeed, the card was hot!

Story told me by Ken Phillips who swore it was true.

Richard

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/