Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: National Academies' IPR Website Launch

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 14:35:38 -0400

A few items:

The STEP Board is pleased to announce the launch of a new website which will
serve as a guide to the Academies' extensive work on Intellectual Property
and a
forum to discuss ongoing work. The site can be accessed at (
http://ip.nationalacademies.org). Information on past and current projects,
discussion boards, and other resources can be found on the site.

In conjunction with the site launch, we are seeking comment on an item that is
posted to the site.  The STEP Board commissioned Mogee Research & Analysis
Associates to develop a conceptual mapping of business method patents in
relation to Internet patents, E-commerce patents, and software patents. The
results are available at the site above, or can be accessed at (
http://www.nationalacademies.org/ipr). Comments, again, are encouraged and will
be shared with the Committee on Intellectual Property Rights in the
Knowledge-Based Economy.

Additionally, I am planning to transition this list into a monthly newsletter
for STEP Board activities.  Current STEP projects include:

Intellectual Property Rights in the Knowledge-Based Economy
Measuring and Sustaining the New Economy
Trends in Federal Support of Research and Graduate Education
Government-Industry Partnerships for the Development of New Technologies
Medical Innovations in the Changing Healthcare Marketplace

More information on these projects can be found at (
http://www.nationalacademies.org/step). If you DO NOT wish to receive this
newsletter, please let me know and I will remove you from the list.

For those of you who wish ONLY to recieve items related to intellectual
property
issues, please sign up for the newsletter at
(http://ip.nationalacademies.org/newsletter.php).  This newsletter will not
only
update you on STEP's project, but also on other current Academy projects on
topic.  To date, these include:

Intellectual Property Rights in the Knowledge-Based Economy

Internet Navigation and the Domain Name System
To ensure that Internet searching improves with the growth of the system, the
Academies have launched a study of technological developments and policy
changes
affecting domain names, already subject to trademark disputes. The study is
mandated by Congress in PL 105-305.

Workshop on Open Source Issues
Scoping workshop to explore technical, economic, and legal issues relating to
open source and its impact on the organization of the software industry.

Best,

Craig Schultz
Research Associate
STEP Board