Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Unveiling of the Alan Turing statue in Manchester

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 13:40:45 -0400

Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 18:23:32 +0100
To: farber () cis upenn edu, History of Computing Issues <SHOTHC-L () SIVM SI EDU>
From: Brian Randell <Brian.Randell () newcastle ac uk>

Hi:

A colleague of mine was present when a statue to Alan Turing was unveiled
in Manchester a few weeks ago - here is a rather nice report he wrote of
the event.

A couple of hundred people gathered in Sackville Park for
the unveiling and accompanying speeches. We were, in the terms of one
speaker, an "exotic" crowd, ranging from gay rights activists to
distinguished mathematicians. It was a comfy chattering classes liberal
elite version of "exotic", if you ask me. Sackville Park is the ideal
location, bounded by institutes of higher learning on two sides and
Manchester's gay "village" on the other two.

The project administrator welcomed everyone and introduced the next speaker,
local politician Cllr. Pat Karney, known for his fine nose for publicity.
The administrator described him as the main conduit for funding and planning
permission from the city council, then stabbed him nicely in the back: "I
first met him a year ago, but haven't seen him since, and here he is now
..." :-)

Next was Judith Field, lately President of the British Society for the
History of Mathematics, who explained Turing's contribution to work on the
Entscheidungsproblem with clarity and gusto. She was followed by Andrew
Hodges, Turing's principal biographer, who concentrated on his Bletchley and
Manchester days. Field and Hodges unveiled the statue.

Best of all, for me, was a speech after the unveiling, given by the
sculptor, Glyn Hughes. Hughes sought to explain why he had chosen this
particular form. First he pointed out that Turing was a national hero, and
national heroes are commemorated in bronze. He then pointed out that
Manchester is full of statues of national heroes and you don't notice any of
them because they are all up on plinths striking heroic poses. If he had put
Turing in a similar position, who would notice him? Instead we have this
slight, smaller-than-life (?) pensive figure, holding an apple in his right
hand. His name, dates and an encrypted message are inscribed on the bench.
In common with statues of heroes in ancient times, a sacrifice was made and
buried under this statue. In this case, the sculptor's old Amstrad with his
data.

Pictures of the statue are at
http://www.btinternet.com/~glynhughes/turing.htm. Pictures of the unveiling
are at http://www.turing.org.uk/turing/scrapbook/memorial3.html.

Cheers

Brian Randell
--
Dept. of Computing Science, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/