Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Would You Believe?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 18:49:36 -0400

Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 17:54:46 -0400
To: "David J. Farber" <farber () cis upenn edu>
From: "Tice F. DeYoung" <tdeyoung () mail arc nasa gov>
Subject: Would You Believe?
Cc: ticed () bellatlantic net, rsolomon () dsl cis upenn edu

Dave,

   Here's an interesting tidbit that is pretty incredible.  For IP if you
want it.

Tice

From RoFC newsletter:

". . .in 1995, according to the
June Gilder Technology Report (www.gildertech.com
<http://www.gildertech.com> ),
all the computers in all the world contained a
total of 200 terabytes of storage.

This month -- just six years later, the advent of commodity ($300)
100-gigabyte drives means that just 2,000 PCs could contain
the world's storage of 1995.   (There are about
ten exabytes of storage overall all at this point in time --
"half-a-millionfold growth in less than a decade."  IDC estimates that
the data stored by companies is growing at 80% per year -

        http://www.networkcomputing.com/1205/1205f1.html

Looking forward, considering IBM's projections for .4-terabyte "Pixie
Dust" drives in 2003, then take a mere 50 PCs to match all the storage,
in all the world, of just eight years before.  And we can expect
that trend to continue.
"
So does anyone think we need all this stuff?  Looks like just
large amount of clutter.  But I guess that's the way folks are.
Oh, wait, I forgot about the requirements for the new OS and
integrated apps, this may not be enough.

Also, I guess we'll all need to get to 64-bit PC OSs since our current
ones are 32-bit (and can only handle 2.2 TB of data).

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/