Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Lucent May Cut Up to 20,000 More Jobs

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:27:06 -0400

Lucent May Cut Up to 20,000 More Jobs

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 9:04 a.m. ET

NEW YORK (AP) -- Lucent Technologies Inc. (news/quote) plans to cut
another 15,000 to 20,000 jobs from its payroll and is eliminating
its dividend in a bid to return to profitability.

The announcement Tuesday came as the embattled telecommunications
maker posted a fiscal third-quarter loss of $3.25 billion, far
wider than expectations.

Separately, Lucent said it had reached an agreement to sell its
fiber-optics operations to Furukawa Electric Co. and Corning Inc.
(news/quote) for a total of $2.75 billion, part of two separate
deals it announced Tuesday.

Lucent also said it was eliminating its dividend beginning Sept. 1,
in a move the company said would free up $68 million per quarter.

Lucent has already cut its work force by 19,000 jobs since January,
and has also eliminated 5,500 contractor positions. The additional
cuts will mean Lucent has trimmed its work force, which numbered
123,000 at the beginning of the year, by 32 percent.

Lucent will take a $7 billion to $9 billion charge in its fiscal
fourth quarter to pay for the restructuring, as well as additional
asset write-downs as the company streamlines its product offerings.

``I am pleased with the progress we have made on all points of
Phase I of our restructuring program,'' chief executive and
chairman Henry Schacht said. ``However, we intend to go deeper with
a new phase of our restructuring to reshape Lucent for future
growth and profitability even more quickly.''

For the three months ended June 30, Lucent lost 95 cents per share,
compared with a net loss of $301 million, or 9 cents share, in the
year-ago quarter, the Murray Hill, N.J.-based company said Tuesday.

Excluding discontinued operations, Lucent lost $1.89 billion, or
55 cents per share. Excluding other one-time items, including a
$684 million restructuring charge, Lucent lost 35 cents per share.

Analysts surveyed by Thomson Financial/First Call were expecting a
loss of 21 cents per share.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/business/AP-Earns-Lucent.html

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/