Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: grad school....

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 05:47:52 -0400

To: jcp () jcphome com
cc: farber () cis upenn edu, mo () ccr org
Subject: Re: IP: grad school....
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 18:28:55 -0400
From: "Mike O'Dell" <mo () ccr org>

having been both inside and outside that world,
it's a very interesting problem

on the one hand, really revolutionary things often come
from people who doggedly sit in the corner and ignore all
the career advice they are given until they deliver a jackpot,
and which point their vision and genius are celebrated
and all the histories appropriately revised.

on the other hand, when people in those environments *want*
to do someting relevant to "the market", they are often
confounded by both the usual "it's not pure research" sneers,
but also the parent company's manifest inability to give
away gold bricks on a streetcorner, much less launch a product
in a  competitive market.  that's been an endemic problem
at Murray Hill, and even worse at Bellcore where they were
essentially prohibited from doing anything anyone wanted.

IBM, though, manages to support both kinds of work, as do
other organizations.

part of it goes to a deep-seated misunderstanding of the
nature of the R&D intellectual enterprise pioneered here in the US.
my second area of study in grad school was history of science,
and Tom Smith, my professor in that area, is the father of
the history of "R&D", which is now recognized as an intellectual
interprise quite distinct from "Basic Research" and "Technology".
historically, Basic Research and Technology were at opposite ends
of the spectrum - not actually enemies, but percieved as such by many.
the former interested in "knowledge for its own sake" and the latter
embracing "whatever works without regard for why".  Physics is usually
cited as an example of the former, agriculture an example of the
latter.

anyway, R&D is a curious amalgam, pioneered in industry, which blends
the two together, along with applied engineering and even market research,
whose goal is "Innovation" - doing something brand new, but also equally
valid, doing something we already know how to do better-faster-cheaper.
most of computing falls under this latter rubric - there are very few
things in computing we didn't know how to do before computers,
but the computer changed the scale at which the activity could be attempted
by many, many zeros.

the organizations who "get it" understand the power of this
blending - basic research, applied engineering, talking to
the people from whom you wish to take money (ie, customers).
a great example of that outside the computer/communications
biz is 3M.

there's a book, "Built to Last", which i'm told looks at some companies
and finds several very counter-intuitive results.   i won't suggest
it's right or wrong, but it seems thought-provoking.

        -mo

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/