Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: "We don't have the raw talent we need to be on the cutting edge"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 07:21:21 -0400

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 12:16:36 +0100
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Jean Camp <jean_camp () harvard edu>

For the elite who make it to US schools, the education system for those
foreign countries offers:
algebra in jr high
"advanced" calculus in high school
music in high school
decent foreign language instruction through school.
We have raw talent. We just don't prepare it.

The crisis is not in universities. The crisis is less evident in
elementary schools, where little equipment and less investment in current
knowledge is required. The crisis is in high schools, and to a lesser
degree jr high schools. High schools that have active booster clubs for
the _sports_ _teams_ and nothing for the chess team. Where science fair
happens once a year and football games every Saturday. Read voices from
Hellmouth on slashdot if you think smart kids get too many resources.
American high school teaches to the lowest common denominator, in a
sometimes violently anti-intellectual environment.  When America cares to
educate kids, as opposed to being entertained by them in contests of
sports, then we can have talent.

At the higher levels where skills teaching is essential our current
education system fails.  We have a educational funding system that was
built to appease anti-Catholic, nativist, and racist opponents of public
schooling.We have an ed training system built to remove the placing of
teachers based on religious affiliation -- but not designed to educate
kids for the 21st century.   We refuse to increase funding by factors of 3
or 5 or 10 (as has been done with medicine as boomers age).

The only significant increase in funding at the K-12 level has been for
the learning disabled (in part by cutting services for the intellectually
talented because the law requires access to the learning disabled but
doesn't fund it). Amazingly, learning by the disabled has significantly
increased! In the educational system we all decry as
fundamentally  broken! Wow! Almost as if investment paid off! Imagine if
we made the _same_ investment in _every_ child.

Any comparison which shows US spending equal to that in the developed
world includes university spending. We have great universities because we
pay for them. The US spends less on education in music in k-12 than on
military bands. We don't educate our kids. That is why they don't learn,
and don't learn to enjoy intellectual challenges.

WE HAVE AN INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION EDUCATION SYSTEM FUNDED AND TAUGHT FOR
INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION FACTORY EMPLOYEES. WHAT DO WE EXPECT AS AN OUTCOME?

Enjoy your tax cut. We're all paying for the investment option declined.

-Jean

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/