Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Bogus Microsoft Security Bulletin

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 16:17:04 -0400

Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 17:58:29 -0400
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
From: Monty Solomon <monty () roscom com>
Subject: Bogus Microsoft Security Bulletin

<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/itsolutions/security/news/bogus.asp>

Information on Bogus Microsoft Security Bulletin

Microsoft has learned that a malicious user is circulating an e-mail that
purports to be a Microsoft Security Bulletin, and which directs the reader
to download an executable file from a web site. Customers who receive such
an e-mail should delete it, and under no circumstances should they
download the executable.

The would-be bulletin claims to be Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-037.
However, the issue it describes is fictitious. In addition, it provides a
link to a web site whose URL looks like the Microsoft web site, but in
reality is not. The "patch" hosted on the site is a piece of hostile code
that could enable an attacker to remotely control another user's system.

There are several dead giveaways that indicate that the e-mail isn't a
bona fide security bulletin:

* The e-mail isn't signed using the Microsoft Security Response Center's
PGP key. Microsoft always signs its bulletins before mailing them, and you
can verify the signature using the key we publish at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/notify.asp. If you are
ever in doubt about the authenticity of a bulletin mailer you've received,
consult the web-hosted bulletins on the Microsoft Security web site - the
versions there are the authority versions.

* The e-mail contains a link to a supposed patch. Authentic bulletin
mailers never provide a link to the patch; instead, they refer the reader
to the complete version of the bulletin on our web site, which provides a
link to the patch.

* The "patch" the bogus bulletin links to isn't digitally signed.
Microsoft always digitally signs the patches it releases. Always be sure
you check the signature of any executable before installing it on your system.

Microsoft is taking aggressive action to protect customers from this
issue. We have contacted the Internet Service Provider where the
counterfeit patch was hosted, and they have removed it. We also are
working with the anti-virus community to ensure that current virus scanner
products will detect the hostile code and remove it. Just the same, this
is not the first time malicious users have issued counterfeit security
bulletins, and it will likely not be the last. Microsoft urges customers
to always verify any mail that claims to be a Microsoft security bulletin.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/