Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Fwd: 2.5 is here. Well, in Seattle.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 10:44:16 -0400

From: "Janos Gereben" <janos451 () earthlink net>
To: "jg" <janos451 () earthlink net>
Subject: 2.5 is here. Well, in Seattle.
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 00:14:54 -0700

AT&T launches 2.5 mobile multimedia service

Janos Gereben - www.the451.com

Scoring a US first, AT&T Wireless started a next-generation always-on,
multimedia-capable mobile service on Tuesday. It is a move to the
so-called 2.5 model - on the way to 3G, or third-generation, wireless
service - limited for now to AT&T business users in the Seattle
market.

This is the first time that GSM (global system for mobile
communications)-based GPRS (general packet radio service) accounts are
made available for commercial use. Simultaneous voice and data
services reach over 56 kbps in this model, against the current 19.2
kbps, but a long way from the promise of 3G throughput speed and full
multimedia content. Rival CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access)
carriers, claim that when their advanced services become available
later this year, data speeds will be faster than GPRS. Sprint PCS and
Verizon Wireless both promise speeds up to 144 kbps within months.
Meanwhile, in the real world, currently available GPRS phones handle
traffic between 25 and 35 kbps, according to Motorola. Rod Nelson,
AT&T Wireless CTO acknowledged that the Seattle launch is just the
first step in "making the vision of mobile multimedia services a
reality."

Wireless industry expert Dewayne Hendricks is somewhat skeptical. He
spoke to the451 from the viewpoint of a customer: "GPRS requires you
to sign up for GSM service. Here in the Bay Area, AT&T does not
currently offer GSM - Cingular does. I'm an AT&T Wireless customer and
use their TDMA service. I don't see dumping that service anytime soon
just to go with GSM in order to get GPRS, which won't meet my data
requirements anyway. I want a lot more bandwidth than you can get from
GPRS."

In fact, Cingular and VoiceStream both have GSM networks capable of
GPRS migration as well as a great deal of the next-generation
infrastructure, but have not offered 2.5 services yet.

Seattle customers are using Motorola's Timeport 7382i GPRS cell phone
for the new service, the first such instrument available in the US.
The phone costs $200, the basic service is priced at $50, which is in
line with other wireless services providing 400 voice minutes a month.
The AT&T service package also allocates 1Mb for data. The company
plans GPRS running in 40% of its service areas by the end of 2001, and
have complete coverage by the end of the next year.

Janos Gereben/SF
janos451 () earthlink net

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/