Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Celebrating the Fourth

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 21:02:48 -0400

To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
From: Whitfield Diffie <whitfield.diffie () sun com>

                                Tuesday   3 July 2001  at 17h45

    In 1994, I sent the following message to the Cypherpunks"

  From: whitfield.diffie () Eng Sun COM
  To: cypherpunks () toad com
  Subject: Celebrating the 4th
  Date: Fri,  1 Jul 1994 at 13h01

      On the 4th of July 1993, I walked out of my house and saw my
  neighbor's flag flying from the porch.  I thought: ``I have no flag
  to fly; how shall I celebrate Independence Day?''  I went back
  inside and got Gunther's Casebook in Constitutional Law.  At
  breakfast, I re-read the Constitution.  A practice I recommend to
  all of you.

      I subsequently acquired online copies of the Constitution, and the
  even more appropriate Declaration of Independence from Danny Weitzner
  at EFF.  Plain TeX copies are attached below, separated by a
  --- cut here --- line.
                                  (snip)

(It seemed corny but I couldn't figure out how to improve on it since it
was true.)  Today the Constitution and the Declaration are readily
available on the web and still worth reading once a year.

                                        Whit

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/