Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: HEAR HEAR, what I and others have been saying for a while now djf --- Faking It: The Internet Revolution Has Nothing to Do With the Nasdaq

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 19:03:59 -0400

From: "the terminal of Geoff Goodfellow" <geoff () iconia com>
To: "Dave E-mail Pamphleteer Farber" <farber () cis upenn edu>

Faking It: The Internet Revolution Has Nothing to Do With the Nasdaq
By MICHAEL LEWIS
The New York Times

When Internet stocks began their free fall in March 2000, the Internet was
finally put in its proper place. It was nothing more than a fast delivery
service for information -- that was what serious people who had either lost
a lot of money in the late stages of the Internet boom or, more likely,
failed to make money began to say now. The profit-making potential of the
Internet had been overrated, and so the social effects of the Internet were
presumed to be overrated. But they weren't. Speeding up information was not
the only thing the Internet had done. The Internet had made it possible for
people to thwart all sorts of rules and conventions. It wasn't just the
commercial order that was in flux. Many forms of authority were secured by
locks waiting to be picked. The technology and money-making potential of the
Internet were far less interesting than the effects people were allowing it
to have on their lives and what these, in turn, said about those lives.

What was happening on the Internet buttressed a school of thought in
sociology known as role theory. The role theorists argue that we have no
"self" as such. Our selves are merely the masks we wear in response to the
social situations in which we find ourselves. The Internet had offered up a
new set of social situations, to which people had responded by grabbing for
a new set of masks. People take on the new tools they are ready for and make
use of only what they need, how they need it. If they were using the
Internet to experiment with their identities, it was probably because they
found their old identities inadequate. If the Internet was giving the world
a shove in a certain direction, it was probably because the world already
felt inclined to move in that direction. The Internet was telling us what we
wanted to become.

I have already written here about Jonathan Lebed, the 15-year-old boy in the
New Jersey suburbs who used the Internet to transform himself into a stock
market manipulator. Jonathan's story suggested that you couldn't really
understand what was happening on the Internet unless you understood the
conditions in the real world that led to what was happening on the
Internet -- and you couldn't understand those unless you went there in
person and looked around. Once you did that, you came to appreciate all
sorts of new truths. For instance, the Internet was rock 'n' roll all over
again. Not rock 'n' roll now, but rock 'n' roll in the 1950's and 1960's,
when it actually terrified grown-ups. The Internet was enabling a great
status upheaval and a subversion of all manner of social norms. And the
people quickest to seize on its powers were the young.

--SNIP--

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/15/magazine/15INTERNET.html

geoff.goodfellow () iconia com, Prague CZ * tel/mobil +420 (0)603 706 558
"success is getting what you want & happiness is wanting what you get"
http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/99/01/biztech/articles/17drop.html

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/