Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: MS Passport-free

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 20:04:36 -0400

Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 16:42:31 -0800
From: Harry Saal  <Harry () saal org>
Subject: MS Passport-free

I don't forsee a Microsoft-free desktop software environment
in my future, but I do intend to avoid any product which
requires me to use "Passport". I was shocked to find that
the Microsoft Passport information site, www.passport.com,
makes no allusion to the fact that Passport is, I have read,
a prerequisite to installing certain Microsoft products,
e.g. Train Simulator, MS Office for Mac. It refers only
to "signing in" to Websites, and "wallet" features for
online purchases. Does anyone know of a comprehensive
list of MS products which require Passport? On such products,
is this requirement clearly indicated on the external packaging?

It seems to me that we need a "Passport-free" icon (a red
circle-bar across a blue US-like passport?) as a symbol
of purity in the shrink-wrap SW industry.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/