Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Looking for a successor PLEASE READ and pass on

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 07:22:28 -0500

As most of you know, I have completed my one year term as Chief
Technologist at the FCC. It was one of the most interesting years I have
spent during my career. I received a lot and hopefully gave a lot. I
started to understand how policy is made and how the economic and technical
realities are meshed with the political realities of Washington. How the
public interests are meshed with the strong forces of industry.

Since the Chief Technologist must work closely with the Commissioners and
in particular the Chairman of the FCC, it seemed appropriate to wait till
now to seek a replacement (I will be helping the FCC till that time).

So, looking for a person with a strong technical background in modern
communications including the Internet who would like to spend a year (or
so) in Washington. Academics are particularly welcome since there is a IPA
path which can be used.  A strong interest in interacting with economist,
lawyers and policy people is really needed. The exposure is considerable
since you would often be called upon to give speeches at key places.

I would be happy to discuss this with anyone who is interested prior to
contacting the FCC if you would like.

Please pass this one to colleagues etc.

Dave

David Farber
The Alfred Fitler Moore Professor of Telecommunication Systems
University of Pennsylvania
200 S. 33rd St
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6389
Home Page: http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~farber