Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: stupid email filter tricks

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 07:07:47 -0500

From: "George Feil" <hacker () stardragon com>
To: "Dave Farber" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: stupid email filter tricks
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:50:12 -0800

Dave,

I received a notice from two different mail servers warning me of a virus
that had been enclosed in an message sent through a mailing list that I
host.  I was quite surprised by the warnings, given that I am a subscriber
on the list, and received the message without a peep from my trusty
anti-virus program.  Fortunately, one of the warning messages included  a
log file diagnosing the problem.

It turned out that the offending message didn't contain a virus at all, but
it did contain a phrase that was used as a subject line for a recent email
worm (I won't repeat it here so it doesn't trip any filers used by your list
subscribers).

We've all long known of the flaws in content filtering programs in locking
out access to legitimate sites.  But this is a new one:  overzealous mail
sentries crying wolf over suspected email.  It's amazing how these filters
were not even smart enough to look for VBS attachments or JavaScript code in
the message...

[By the way, one of the programs that notified me was called "MailMarshal".]

George Feil
Chief Hacker
Stardragon Consulting Inc.
http://www.stardragon.com