Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Drippings of the new Trickle-down Economy

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 18:03:26 -0500

From: "Janos.Gereben" <janos451 () earthlink net>
To: "jg" <janos451 () earthlink net>
Subject: Drippings of the new Trickle-down Economy
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 23:30:19 -0800

At the Carl's Jr. branch I frequent infrequently (Memo to Self - must stop;
Memo to Carl - shouldn't that be "Carl Jr.'s?), I didn't see the usual
people behind the counter: the girl from El Salvador, the funny guy from
Peru.

Instead, there were three virtually identical young white guys, looking way
out of place. I asked Bill/Shift Leader if they have all graduated from a
recent Carl's Jr. leadership training class. Heck, no, said Bill, we are
from Microsoft. A pregnant pause ensued.

Redmond? I asked, quasi-jocularly, still waiting for a punch line. No, Bill
said, Peninsula. Pause again. Feeling my journalistic epaulets at risk if I
just let this go, I asked about the relationship between Microsoft and
Carl's Jr.

Oh, Bill said, we were working in QA, we are testers, laid off, along with a
dozen other people from the department. The pause was mine this time, but
Bill volunteered more information: I was making $70k last month, getting $20
thousand now. (He used "k" with 70, "thousand" with 20, somehow making the
smaller amount sound more real.) He didn't look angry or sad, he was taking
it in stride. Somewhere between 25 and 28, he could afford to roll with the
punch.

I took my No. 9 to go, wished him good luck, and left wondering what
happened to the people replaced by Bill and the other QA kids.

Janos Gereben/SF, CA
janos451 () earthlink net

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/