Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: Interesting Article in the 26 July LA Times on the Mismatch of Business and the Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 21:30:08 -0400

From: "Bob Frankston" <rmf2g2 () bobf Frankston com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Cc: "'David Reed'" <dpreed () reed com>, "John Klensin" <klensin () att com>
Subject: RE: Interesting Article in the 26 July LA Times on the Mismatch
of  Business and the Internet
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 21:13:54 -0400

[Dave, this is, of course, one of my strong interests and this isn't my
first rant but this article is needs to be amplified but I'll resist
addressing the many fallacies with the article to keep this brief --
Klensin and others did provide some responses]

And it's even worse! The first mile of Internet connectivity is
restrained by companies who stand to lose if people were allowed full
access to the Internet. For example, this McKinsey report
http://www.mckinseyquarterly.com/article_page.asp?tk=351768:1093:38&ar=1
093&L2=38&L3=99
makes it clear that content companies need to keep their platforms
closed to maximize their profits.

We shouldn't be surprised that the first mile of connectivity has been
stagnant for the five years while the rest of the telecommunications
infrastructure has improved by 10 to 100 times a year.

Unfortunately, the claims that one must maintain rigid control over the
infrastructure find a ready audience with those who do not understand
the power of a resilient infrastructure. Terms like "Broadband" are used
to pretend that the Internet is an aberrant form of television and we
are consumers at the last mile.

As a consequence gigabit of connectivity stands idle while a single 56kb
channel is all we have to give us access to the world.

Bob Frankston
http://www.Frankston.com