Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: 6 to 8 percent of Internet startups have folded?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 18:46:47 -0400

Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 15:42:02 -0700
From: Brad Templeton <brad () templetons com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: 6 to 8 percent of Internet startups have folded?

I don't know what to think of these stats, Dave.   Most of the companies
that shut down, especially ones that were small to medium without famous
investors or lots of people to lay off, have shut down very quietly, I think.

Sample point of 1, but a company I invested in that also got a VC round
shut its doors a couple of months ago, but we're hardly bragging about
it, and there's no mention of it in sites like fuckedcompany.   So as
long as a company of this size can shut down without a whimper, I
non-scientificly suspect there are lots of others, and even more that
never got VC funding.

I know several other companies that have moved into "coast" mode, not
really sure where they are going, knowing their old bizplan can't possibly
make it, but down to skeleton staff and not out of money.  Not dead,
but a failure in my book.

I have also heard tell of VCs merging their companies (counting that as a
"sale" and thus not a failure) and then killing the merged company and
counting it a single failure.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/