Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: marketing doublespeak from amazon/border's

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 12:57:59 -0400

Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 08:56:08 -0700
From: brett watson <brett () the-watsons org>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: marketing doublespeak from amazon/border's

dave, dont' know if you frequent border's or amazon but they are
"partnering" in some way with their online service.  so here is a clip of
the announcement and these two paragraphs were in this *exact* order in
the announcement:

What will happen to my existing Borders.com account information?

Borders.com and Amazon.com care about your privacy. Accordingly, any
information you have previously provided to Borders.com or Amazon.com
will not be shared between our two companies.

What do I need to know to start shopping?

If you have previously shopped at both Borders.com and Amazon.com --
The new Borders.com site uses Amazon.com's e-commerce engine. As a
result, if you've visited Amazon.com before, Borders.com will
automatically recognize you. That means you're ready to enjoy all of
the advantages of our new site.

so they won't share my information but if i've visited amazon before,
border's will automatically recognize me?  on one hand, i don't care as i
frequent both but in this world of privacy fears, it's just another step
towards my having a global identity and *that* i do not like.

-b

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/