Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Risks of the Passport Single Signon Protocol

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 04:12:01 -0400

From: "the terminal of Geoff Goodfellow" <geoff () iconia com>
To: "Dave E-mail Pamphleteer Farber" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Risks of the Passport Single Signon Protocol
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 10:02:40 +0200

Risks of the Passport Single Signon Protocol
David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin
AT&T Labs - Research
180 Park Avenue
Florham Park, NJ 07932
{davek,rubin}@research.att.com

Abstract

Passport is a protocol that enables users to sign onto many different
merchants' web pages by authenticating themselves only once to a common
server. This is important because users tend to pick poor (guessable) user
names and passwords and to repeat them at different sites. Passport is
notable as it is being very widely deployed by Microsoft. At the time of
this writing, Passport boasts 40 million consumers and more than 400
authentications per second on average. We examine the Passport single signon
protocol, and identify several risks and attacks. We discuss a flaw that we
discovered in the interaction of Passport and Netscape browsers that leaves
a user logged in while informing him that he has successfully logged out.
Finally, we suggest several areas of improvement.

http://avirubin.com/passport.html

geoff.goodfellow () iconia com, Prague CZ * tel/mobil +420 (0)603 706 558
"success is getting what you want & happiness is wanting what you get"
http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/99/01/biztech/articles/17drop.html

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/