Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Where will it end : Sklyarov and AAP, etc.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 13:28:57 -0400

Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 13:07:38 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Mikki Barry <ooblick () netpolicy com>
Subject: Re: IP: Fwd: Sklyarov and AAP, etc.

Lauren's mention of the restrictions regarding fair use rights to record
digital content are right on the mark.  I recently began investigating how
I could record digital (or for that matter analog) content directly from
satellite transmissions, or even from my own antenna.

The equipment to do this USED to be available in the US, but apparently
pressure brought by the MPAA and others resulted in its being pulled from
the market.  Panasonic made a high definition decoder that connected via
firewire to a D-VHC VCR.  This setup would allow for recording in HD (or
analog) from your home antenna.  In combination with a now also
discontinued Dish Network receiver, recording of satellite signals was
possible.  Dish was pressured to encode the output of their HD receiver in
order to make this practice difficult if not impossible.

The combination of the DMCA, the negation of our fair use rights to make
non commercial archival copies, and the stomping of our first amendment
rights to even SPEAK about how to circumvent the artificial barriers for
fair use purposes, is a serious threat to much of what we currently take
for granted.

Tivos and Ultimate TV boxes let you record digitally, but notice there's
no firewire output available any longer.  They're wonderful machines, but
when you get to the end of your 30 or 60 hours, you have to start deleting
content or hack the machine to add more space. Why, when it would be so
simple to allow you to digitally archive your favorite programs not
available on DVD to digital VHS or miniDV or even DVD-R (which of course,
you can't encrypt the way the "big boys" do unless you buy an expensive
"authoring" unit).

Where will this stop?  I used to laugh about something that we were told
by an attorney for MPAA at a CPSR forum.  He said to the group that UDRPs
and the "anti cybersquatting consumer protection act" against domain names
were only the beginning.  He said that they would not stop until they
could control Internet content as well. I'm not laughing anymore.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/