Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: FREE SKLYAROV protest in London - from NTK

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 14:23:12 -0400

From: "Rob Raisch" <info () raisch com>
To: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>

         Despite fears of the usual authority-distrusting programmers
         milling around in "what do we do now?" disarray, we're pleased
         to report that, at time of writing, the UK's highest-profile
         FREE SKLYAROV protest went without a hitch outside the US
         embassy in London this lunchtime. Baffled onlookers and a van
         full of riot police had Sklyarov's unjustifiable incarceration
         [see previous NTKs] explained to them by means of leaflets,
         placards, chanting, "street theatre" reconstructions of his
         arrest, and impromptu filk versions of "YMCA" but with the
         lyrics changed to be about the "DMCA" instead. Attendance was
         estimated at "between 30 and 40" by organiser Dan Aykroyd, who
         doesn't look like he does on the telly at all, and "refused to
         be drawn" on why the other cast members of Sneakers couldn't
         make it. Assuming no other railway stations blow up between
         now and then, the whole thing should be on Newsnight at
         10.30pm tonight, though we bet they just show the bit where
         we're wandering round Hyde Park trying to work out where the
         embassy is, with some smart-arse "geeks couldn't organise a
         piss-up in a brewery" commentary from Paxman.
         http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t281-s2092269,00.html
         - many from as far away as Cambridge and Underground Zone 4
         http://www.xenoclast.org/freesklyarov/
                                     - and a good time was had by all
         http://www.google.com/search?q=dmca+ymca
         - also thought this tune would go well with "My-S-Q-L"

From NTK - Need To Know : the weekly high-tech sarcastic update for the uk
http://www.ntk.net/

--rr (rob raisch)
Senior Architect,  http://www.imakenews.com/
providing end-to-end managed online newsletters

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/