Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Re: Response to David Reed

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 17:38:12 -0400

From: "Gerry Faulhaber" <gerry-faulhaber () home com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Re: Re: Response to David Reed
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 17:28:50 -0400

I'm glad Mr. Berger is open to *some* use of markets and property rights.
Let me clear up a few points in his post:

Virtually no one who currently controls spectrum is permitted to share it,
lease it, or sell it to anyone; furthermore, they can only use it for the
express purpose (say, TV broadcasting) permitted in their license.  There is
no market because no one is permitted to buy and sell licenses, or to use
them for anything other than the original FCC mandate.  Them's the rules,
and yes, they stink.  But to fault "TV/radio broadcasters for [not] being
open to sharing or leasing their spectrum" ignores the FCC licensing rules;
it would be illegal for them to do so.  This is not to say that the
broadcasters *would* do it, if they had a chance; but so far they haven't
had a chance.

It may be that "monopolists don't ever want to share or lease" (I don't
think this is actually true), but please tell me where the monopolist is in
spectrum.  If we put spectrum ownership into private hands right now, there
would be hundreds, maybe thousands of owners of spectrum, many of whom would
be happy to sell or lease.  If the TV guys won't lease there will be plenty
of people that will.  You don't need everyone who owns a good (a house, say,
or a piece of the spectrum) to be willing to put it on the market, in order
to have competition; all you need is enough owners willing to transact with
the buyers.  And this is what price is all about: ensuring incentives to
sell/rent/lease.  With enough sellers (but not necessarily everyone), the
market will be competitive; there will be no monopoly.

Many people seem to confuse "private property" with "monopoly;" not helpful.
Please be careful when you use the term "monopoly;" make sure you can prove
your case.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/