Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Pac Bell Internet closing off access to certain parts of Usenet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:30:44 +1000

-----Original Message-----
From: support () pacbell net [mailto:support () pacbell net]
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 8:09 PM
To: bmdulac () pacbell net
Subject: Attention Usenet Newgroup Users - Important Information

Pacific Bell Usenet Newsgroup Users, please read this message. All others
may disregard.

In addition, after evaluating possible copyright infringement issues,
newsgroup usage and the cost of providing newsgroup access, we will no
longer offer some alt.binary newsgroups. For a list of alt.binaries that
will no longer be offered, please refer to our FAQ at
http://global.pacbell.net/usenet_update.html.

More information from the FAQ:

Groups that will not be offered are alt.binaries with some combination of
the following suffixes: sounds, mp3, cd.image(s), movies, multimedia, warez,
vcd. Due to their nature, these are the groups that contain multi-part
postings of digital files that are likely to contain copyrighted material.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/