Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: some more techy answers from Rainmaker

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 16:56:32 +1000

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:55:30 -0700
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
From: Mark Laubach <mark () rainmakertechnologies com>

To all,

Regarding our 10Gbps to the side of the home over existing cable PR.

The technology is real and working here in the lab.  We are currently
moving digital video MPEG2 packets over a lower speed Field Programmable
Gate Array (FPGA) implementation.  The modulation is based on Wavelet
transform mathematics, not Fast Fourier Transforms.  We are a fabless
ASIC house working on a next generation modem system.

Our application to the cable network space begins with fiber speed
channels starting at 170Mbps.  The steep stopband nature of modulation
allows us to package channels directly adjacent in the RF spectrum.
We will be running at 10bits/Hz/second density.  Taken to the limit,
the last thousand+ yards of passive coax in an Hybrid Fiber-Coaxial plant
will have about a 1GHz passband, hence a 10Gbps aggregate data capacity
with our technology.  The cable operator can choose how much is allocated
for broadcast programming (will always be the most cost effective way
to deliver programming), custom bandwidth (for VoD, HDTVoD, business
bandwidth, e.g. T1's), and shared bandwidth (cable modem style) for
the most subscriber cost effective.

In the existing RF spectrum of deployed HFC plants, one cannot get to
10Gbps overnight, it takes time and revenue streams to finance.  Hence,
we can be deployed to mine the most effective $'s out of the existing
HFC RF spectrum in an incremental fashion while completely co-existing
with current services. The cable operator can "grow" capacity where and
when the need to.

I'm in the process of beefing up the technology description on the
website.  The nature of the HFC plant can best be understood in the
book that Dave co-authored with Stephen Dukes and myself.

And yes, we are a Silicon Valley startup currently looking for
additional funding.  This is a great "buy low" time in the market.

Mark

--
   Rainmaker enables carrier class fiber speed channels over cable networks.
       No new wires.  No new trenches.  No changes to the HFC plant!

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/