Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Three follow ons to my comments on MS and WinXP

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 09:39:27 -0400

From: "Gerry Faulhaber" <gerry-faulhaber () home com>
To: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>

Dave, I agree completely.  If the beta clearly demonstrates that MS is doing
something illegal, then there should be sufficient evidence to seek an
injunction barring releasel, as the "danger" would be imminent and
preventable.

But without that clear evidence, prior restraint seems to be government
overreaching in the extreme.  Recent IPers have tut-tutted over the
government getting intrusive with mobsters (if they can do it to Nicky
Scarfo, maybe they can do it to me).  And yet other IPers propose much more
intrusive prior restraint on Microsoft.  I don't get this: do we think MS
threatens our professional standards, while Scarfo threatens only the lives
of people we don't know?

We need to be suspicious of government restraint and intrusiveness, even of
people and companies we don't especially like.  And we need to be especially
suspicious of those who call for such restraints on people or companies they
don't like.  The burden of proof, and it's a heavy one, is on those who
would restrain.  Not an impossible burden, but a heavy one.

Gerald Faulhaber
Business and Public Policy Department
Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Philadephia, PA 19104
215-898-7860