Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: 10Gbps to the Home Over Existing Cable Networks Initiative Announced by Rainmaker Technologies

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 17:18:44 +1000

I am a member of their TAB djf

10Gbps to the Home Over Existing Cable Networks
Initiative  Announced by Rainmaker Technologies

Cupertino, CA, (28 August 2001) - Rainmaker Technologies, Inc.  announces
landmark technology capable of delivering 10Gbps of digital capacity to the
side of the home over existing cable networks.  The company is a fabless
developer and marketer of silicon solutions that enable cable operators to
deliver carrier-class fiber speeds over existing last mile broadband
infrastructure.

"Our digital modem technology allows the cable operator to deliver 10
gigabits per second over the last few thousand yards of coaxial cable to
the home.  Using our technology, the cable operator can incrementally
extend their current digital capacity without forklift upgrades and without
modifying the existing plant." says Mark Laubach, CTO, "The Hybrid
Fiber-Coaxial cable plant has tremendous advantages for scaling and
extending capacity.  We provide technology that mines fiber-speed data
capacity from existing in-band RF cable spectrum in a manner that
completely coexists with current services.  The cable operator can grow to
10Gbps to the side of the home when and where needed and in a manner that
is completely consistent with current practices."

"We have the best cost per megabit transmission system in the industry.
Step-wise deployment of our technology directly scales the financial
business," comments Paul Chin, CEO. "We provide an order of magnitude
increase in subscriber-side capacity at comparable costs and with near
drop-in compatibility.  The cable operator receives accelerated return for
new services such as Video on Demand, High Definition Video on Demand, and
custom business data capacity.  Our technology immediately leads to lower
Total Cost of Ownership.  Rainmaker Technologies is about the fastest
digital service coupled with the best financial return on installed plant."

About Rainmaker Technologies

Rainmaker Technologies, Inc.  (www.rainmakertechnologies.com) is a private
Silicon Valley start-up company with a unique and powerful technology for
mining untapped data capacity from last mile cable and copper broadband
networks.  The company's enabling and patented Wavelet Engine technology is
the basis for opening up the data capacity over existing infrastructure.
Service operators can generate incremental new revenue at comparable costs
without requiring capital expenditures to upgrade the Hybrid Fiber-Coaxial
plant; i.e., no forklift overhauls and no changes to the plant.  The
company has a technology leadership position in the coming generation of
cost-effective, capacity-enabling silicon solutions needed by cable
operators, and set top box and head-end suppliers.  Rainmaker's unique
modem ASIC solutions enable more bits per Hertz capacity at comparable cost
to provide the best dollars per bit performance.

Rainmaker Technologies is initially focused on the cable networking market,
however the Wavelet Engine technology applies equally well to twisted-pair
last mile copper, wireless broadband, and home wireless infrastructure.
See the website for more information.