Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: Wired: Wireless Networks in Big Trouble

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 14:06:29 -0700

From: "Young, Mike" <myoung () rsasecurity com>
To: "'farber () cis upenn edu'" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: RE: Wired: Wireless Networks in Big Trouble
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 10:14:22 -0400

Dave,

Some people have been spreading the rumour that since WEP is not secure, RC4
( the underlying symmetric encryption algorithm, is not secure either). WEP
is a poorly implemented solution using RSA patented and trade secret
algorithms, key material is sent lightly encryption and re-used, which is
not secure. RC4 is still the most used algorithm today, along with the RSA
asymmetric algorithm, makes up SSL technology. RC4 has been used over a
billion times, more than any other piece of software, even Microsoft. Its
security is proven day after day.

Ron Rivest (the R in RSA, the R in RC4, The R in RC6) has written a
preliminary response to WEP insecurity. Once the lawyers approve it, it will
be posted on www.rsasecurity.com/rsalabs

BTW, my email is now myoung () rsasecurity com  Xcert was bought by RSA several
months ago.

MJY

Michael J. Young
Sr. Systems Engineer
OEM and Developer Solutions
Worldwide Plaza, Mezzanine West
825 Eighth Avenue (at 50th St.)
New York, NY 10019 USA
T: 1-212-489-0080 x228
M: 1-914-572-2803
F: 1-212-489-6835
E: myoung () RSAsecurity com
Ask me about the 9X+ performance increase you get with optimized RC5 over
freeware 3DES!

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/