Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: 2 on Cringely on TCP/IP

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 19:22:06 -0400

Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 16:07:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com>
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: IP: Cringely on TCP/IP

The Death of TCP/IP
Why the Age of Internet Innocence is Over
By Robert X. Cringely
That article is flawed.
One has always been able to generate bogus packets from Windows machines -
It has always been a "small matter of programming" to reach down to the
hardware, the device driver, one of its abstraction (such as "NDIS") and
do things directly.
And with physical access to a computer one can always simply reboot the
machine from a new disk or CD and simply avoid all operating system
limitations altogether.
For instance, for several years I have had some network troubleshooting
code that simply bypasses the Windows TCP stack and uses it's own protocol
stack to handle its own IP, ICMP, UDP, and even ARP packets using whatever
address has been configured for the troubleshooting software, ignorring
the one that has been programmed into Windows.
(Troubleshooting tools, like surgical scalpels, need to be sharp to be
useful. So I did embed many protections into the software, such as
internal passwords and user interface impediments, to avoid accidental
misuse of strong features. But like a scalpel, network troubleshooting
software can be dangerous if handled incompetently or with an intent to
cause harm.)
Protection against IP address spoofing - which is what this is - really
requires that there be filters in the net's routing infrastructure to
block the propogation of packets bearing addresses that are coming from
places where they shouldn't be coming from. That's a relatively easy
thing to be done near the edges of the Internet - and many consider it
rather important for companies, schools, and edge-ISP to install such
filters. But is very hard to do such filtering the core for reasons not
only of avoiding the per-packet overhead but also because it is very hard
to know in the core when a packet is coming from an improper place.
--karl--