Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Fwd: Windows XP: Bundling no big deal, says Microsoft

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 03:31:35 -0400

From: AcmeWriter () aol com
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 22:01:37 EDT
Subject: Windows XP: Bundling no big deal, says Microsoft
To: dave () farber net

Dave -

Thanks for taking the time to talk with me for my story regarding Windows XP
and how Microsoft views the bundling issue. I've included an excerpt and a
link to my story below.

Connie Guglielmo
Editor-at-Large
Interactive Week

Microsoft: What's The Big Deal?
By Connie Guglielmo, Interactive Week
August 20, 2001 9:12 AM ET

The bundling controversy over Windows XP has been blown "way out of
proportion" by a few prominent companies who don't like the fact that
Microsoft is adding technologies to its operating system that compete with
their applications, the company says.

It may seem like cold consolation to Microsoft competitors, but Greg
Sullivan, lead product manager for Windows XP, said there are "thousands" of
developers creating applications for the Windows OS and the number of
technologies Microsoft chooses to add to its OS is quite small in comparison.

"If you look at the PC industry as a whole and the work that Microsoft puts
into supporting third-party innovation and development on the Windows
platform, the set of companies and individuals working on innovative tools
for the platforms so vastly outweigh the opportunities that companies [lost]
because things became part of the OS," Sullivan said in a recent interview
about Microsoft's OS strategy. " … The debate is way out of proportion
to the
reality."

But it it's more than just a few prominent companies who are unhappy with
Windows XP, which will be officially released October 25. Now that a federal
appeals court has upheld a ruling branding Microsoft an abusive monopoly, the
attorneys general for 18 states are calling for an injunction to stop
distribution of the latest version of Windows until the government can
examine whether Microsoft's bundling of heretofore standalone technologies
into XP - including its digital media player and instant messaging technology
- is anticompetitive.

"You decide to put something in the OS when you want to bury it alive," said
one computer industry insider, who asked not to be named. "The whole game is
what you show to the external application programmers. Once you bury
something in the OS, once you start thinking of things as being part of the
OS, you can keep the [application programming interfaces] secret and only
make them internal to the company. That keeps external programmers from
taking advantage of those features and developing new applications."

Still, not everyone believes that distribution of Windows XP should be
halted. Giga Information analyst Rob Enderle says many companies, including
the major PC makers, are counting on the new OS to help boost fourth quarter
sales. He believes the government should instead focus on the next version of
Windows under development, codenamed Longhorn.

Dave Farber, a computer scientist at the University of Pennsylvania who
testified as an witness for the government during Microsoft's antitrust
trial, said he doesn't want to see the government or court systems getting
involved in software design. "But I have no objection at all if the
government says, 'Your license agreements are wrong and illegal and we won't
let you release your program with those licensing arrangements,'" he added.

As it has throughout its antitrust battles with the government, Microsoft
maintains that it is simply fighting for its right to continue innovating the
monopoly-making operating system that has helped it become the world's most
successful software company...

http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2805398,00.html

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/