Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re:Twins now outlawed

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 15:44:25 -0400

Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 13:50:27 -0500
Subject: Re: IP: Twins now outlawed
From: Virginia Postrel <vpostrel () dynamist com>
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>

The House banning of human cloning (news sample below) will open up
fertility clinics to indictment, because the sundry fertility techniques
have led to vast new quantities of twins and triplets, each one of them a
technically induced human clone intended for birth.

I was writing in opposition to this bill when everyone else was ignoring it,
and I have great respect and affection for Stewart Brand, but this is
incorrect. The twins and triplets who have become increasingly common are
fraternal, not identical, the result of drugs that induce unusually high egg
production or, in the case of in vitro fertilization, of implanting multiple
fertilized eggs. The bill does threaten to outlaw a less common procedure
that involves infusing an egg with another woman's cytoplasm to correct
mitochondrial defects.

It's a terrible bill, rushed through in a moral panic with almost no
opposition. The science and disease groups all but ignored it while focusing
all their attention on getting federal dollars for stem cell research. Some
of the arguments apply to both cases, but the money-for-freedom trade the
disease groups in particular are making is a dangerous game. And comments
Tom Daschle made yesterday suggest that the Democrats may not block the bill
in the Senate, as many observers had assumed. (I've got postings on this at
http://www.dynamist.com/scene.html and earlier pieces at
http://www.dynamist.com/cells.html and
http://www.dynamist.com/latcells.html.)

--
Virginia Postrel (virginia () dynamist com)
Editor-at-large, Reason magazine

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/