Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Ricochet Going Dark -- not confirmed Will track

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 13:06:09 -0400

Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 09:58:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Ole J. Jacobsen" <ole () cisco com>
To: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: For IP: Ricochet Going Dark

Found this on www.Go2Mac.com:

"Metricom's Ricochet Network Going Dark

Thu, 02 Aug 2001, 10:40

In one of the biggest tragedies in the technology sector the Ricochet
wireless network will be going dark before the end of the month according
to a source. Employees were terminated with no notice and offered one
week's pay as severance. We will be posting more details soon."

This is indeed sad news, but I am sure users of the service can offer a
number of suggestions as to why this happened, including the fact that
once you signed up for service you NEVER heard from the company again.
They would simply charge your credit card once again. No updates, no
newsletters, no bills or statements, not even an attempt to sell you
their updgraded (128k) service.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher