Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: response to Swire?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 17:44:21 -0400

From: "Tom W. Bell" <tbell () chapman edu>
To: <dave () farber net>

Dave,

Declan told me that you might be interested in running my reply, attached
below, to Peter Swire's recent critique of my Cato paper.  Since neither CDT
nor Prof. Swire notified me directly of their press release or the extent of
its dissemination, I'm trying to catch up as best I can.  I think it makes
for a pretty illuminating and (so far!) civil discussion.  Thanks much.

Tom

--
Tom W. Bell
Associate Professor, Chapman School of Law

----------
A Response to Professor Swire's Critique

I credit Professor Swire with a thoughtful and temperate comment on my
recent paper, Internet Privacy and Self-Regulation: Lessons from the Porn
Wars (Cato Institute, Policy Briefing # 65, 2001), available at
<http://www.cato.org/pubs/briefs/bp-065es.html>.  As I observed in that
paper, much of the law relating to Internet privacy remains unsettled,
leaving a good deal of room for reasonable people to differ.  Nonetheless, I
find Professor Swire's attempt to defend unconstitutional and unwise privacy
regulations unconvincing.  In brief, he relies on facts that are not legally
relevant and legal claims that are not supported by fact.

(1) Why Professor Swire's Comment Relies on Irrelevant Facts

Professor Swire complains that the privacy-protecting technologies I
describe in my paper would do little to stop speech about consumers who
willingly trade personal facts for Internet services.  He might as well
complain that Lady Godiva suffered wanton looks.

As my paper details, consumers already have easy and free access to
technologies capable of completely hiding them from online spying.  That
gives them the power to remain as private as they like or, more to the
present point, to dollop out personal information solely on acceptable
terms.  Granted, as Professor Swire observes, privacy-protecting tools
cannot re-bottle the genie of personal information once a consumer chooses
to set it free.  But those tools give consumers control over the release of
their personal information, and thus power to demand enforceable contractual
controls on the subsequent use of that information.

Technology cannot do everything, but with regard to Internet privacy it can
certainly do enough.  It can, moreover, do better than federal lawmakers.
Perfection is *never* an option.  The relevant factual question is therefore
this:  Can technology protect our privacy *more effectively* than
politicians and regulators?  It can, as I detail in my paper.  And that it
can renders the call for federal regulation of what commercial entities say
about Internet consumers not just unwise but unconstitutional.

(2) Why Professor Swire's Comment Misinterprets the Law

Professor Swire's legal analysis relies on suspect interpretations of the
relevant authorities and, at any rate, does nothing to defend the sorts of
federal regulations that my paper targeted.

Professor Swire claims, for instance, that "[T]he leading academic article
on the First Amendment and privacy, on which Professor Bell principally
relies, explains in detail why client information can constitutionally be
protected by the sort of privacy laws supported by the ACLU, CDT, and EPIC."
To the contrary, however, that paper merely argues that enforcing implied
contracts to keep information private would not violate the First Amendment.
See Eugene Volokh, "Freedom of Speech and Information Privacy: The Troubling
Implications of a right to Stop People from Speaking about You," 52 Stanford
L. Rev. 1049, 1057-63 (2000).  Professor Volokh thus calls (and rightly so)
for protecting privacy through states' extant contract laws.  The ACLU, CDT,
and EPIC have, in contrast, called for new federal regulations that would do
far more than merely enforce contractual obligations between consumers and
commercial entities.

Does CDT really want to base its Internet privacy policy on Professor
Volokh's theory?  Note that he would first demand a showing that Internet
use comes with an implied promise of confidentiality.  It seems highly
unlikely, to say the least, that we approach Internet browsing with the same
assumption of confidentiality that we rightly assume applies to
communications with our attorneys and doctors.  Note next that Professor
Volokh would, consistent with standard principles of contract law, allow an
express disclaimer of confidentiality to trump any supposedly implied
obligation to keep information about Internet users secret.  I would be
pleased--but greatly surprised--if CDT adopted that approach to Internet
privacy.

Note further that Professor Swire surely errs in attributing to Professor
Volokh the view that "the telecommunications privacy rules struck down . . .
by the 10th Circuit 'are constitutionally permissible.'"  To the contrary,
Professor Volokh merely says that his theory "might suggest" that the 10th
circuit case of U.S. West, Inc. v. FCC, 182 F.3d 1224 (10th Cir. 1999),
"could be interpreted" to embrace an opposing view of the constitutional
scope of privacy regulations.  If all those conditionals hold, granted,
Professor Volokh would presumably argue that the court erred because "such
rules [i.e., rules that merely enforce implied promises not explicitly
disavowed by either party] are constitutionally permissible."  But contrary
to Swire's reading, Volokh does not flatly say the 10th Circuit was
wrong--or, more pointedly, that CDT and company are right to call for broad
federal regulation of Internet privacy.

Similar interpretive problems apply to Professor Swire's other invocations
of legal authority.  As my paper observed, Trans Union Corp. v. FTC, 245
F.3d 809 (D.C. Cir. 2001), "stands on shaky ground."  The Trans Union court
stretched Dun & Bradstreet, Inc., 472 U.S. 749 (1985)--a case concerning
injurious falsehoods--to find that target marketing lists merited reduced
constitutional protection.  Notably, however, only three justices signed on
to the portion of Dun & Bradstreet upon which Trans Union relied, and even
they emphasized that they did not intend to "leave all credit reporting
subject to reduced First Amendment protection." Id. at 762, n. 8.  The other
authority cited by Professor Swire, Individual Reference Services Group,
Inc. v. FTC, 145 F. Supp. 2d 6 (D.D.C. 2001), relies on Trans Union and thus
shares its defects.  At any rate, though, neither of those cases speak
directly to the issue at hand.  They did not concern the collection of
information from Internet users and, thus, did not consider the legal impact
of the privacy-protecting technologies discussed in my paper.

(3) Conclusion

Though I welcome Professor Swire's addition to our mutual and on-going
attempt to discern the constitutional and prudential bounds of Internet
privacy protection, his commentary ultimately fails to disprove the thesis
of my recent paper:  The ready availability of technological self-help
protections of Internet privacy makes regulation by state authorities not
only constitutionally suspect but, from the more general point of view of
policy, functionally inferior.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/