Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: comment on network research and the NSF

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 12:13:26 -0400

Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 12:11:38 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Charles Brownstein <cbrownst () cnri reston va us>
Subject: Re: IP: Re: Grid computing plus a nasty by your editor

WEll...

The FACT is that CISE generated its network research resources out of, and
to an extent motivated by, the programs that supported supercomputing and
S&T information exchange. When we first started CISE, there were critics
(at the time with high profiles) that it would be a disaster for computer
science if the supercomputer activity was to be a part of it. Gorden Bell
and Bill Wulf had the credentials and good sense to overcome them.

NSF had no networking division or research program until we carved one out
of Advanced Scientific Computing when it became apparent that innovation
was needed to meet future needs economically.

The real problem may be to make the Grid sorts of programs a rich problem
generator for network research rather than a data communications network
equivalent to available commercial service with a fancy name.

from a major player .. djf

To: farber () cis upenn edu

Anonymous comment which you can forward to IP:

    I've had a large number of networking scientists come to me in recent
    weeks and describe Grid computing as a yet another way to siphon
    networking dollars away from networking research and into
supercomputing
    and infrastructure support (part of the frustration is that this
behavior
    has been a long term problem at NSF).

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/

--

Charles N. Brownstein
Executive Director, XIWT

email:  brownstein () cnri reston va us
tel:    703 620 8990    desk: 703 262 5346
fax:    703 620 0913
web:    <http://www.xiwt.org>

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/