Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: DDoS -- The new kiddies

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 04:03:57 -0400

From: "Bob Frankston" <RMFx18 () Bobf Frankston com>
To: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Subject: DDoS -- The new kiddies
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 23:09:51 -0400

Just found a few hundred hits on /default.ida on my server and I'm sure
I'm not alone. So far, in the last day, there were 450 requests from 94
distinct sites -- generally cable modem and DSL users. This is actually a
very small number considering what is possible and, perhaps, likely in the
next few days.

But they don't worry me as much as those who see it as their duty to
protect us by taking away our ability to be full network participants.
That's the real tragedy of terrorism; the fear that results in responses
that make those most frightened act as terrorist's agents. I expect to see
increasing noise from those who wish to save the Internet by allowing only
those with proper credentials to participate. Unfortunately there are too
few people who understand that this accomplishes little more than
destroying the Internet and bringing back the centrally controlled and
limited economy.

Playing into fears and superstitions allows the telecommunications
companies to impose arbitrary restrictions in the name of doing good. And,
for the most part, I accept their claim that they have no nefarious
purpose. But that's because keeping the Internet itself open to innovation
is simply not part of their mission. Their primary mission is to provide
closed services like telephony and television. Those who advocate openness
are marginalized by being framed as crazies. The fact that simply blocking
port 80, or checking the character string of email addresses frustrates
normal users while doing little to address the real problems gets lost in
the panic.

Even the Economist, a publication that I normally consider an advocate for
open markets, uses the term "Cyber-Libertarian" (in a recent editorial) as
they defend the need to tame the Internet. It reminds me of the attempt in
the late 1800's to shut the patent office because everything worth
inventing had already been invented.

What is missing is advocacy for connectivity and innovation; a company
whose business is meeting demand rather than disqualifying customers (and
normal DSL procedure). At the recent celebration of the twentieth
anniversary of the PC I was glad to see Andy Grove come out and say
explicitly that the telecom industry is holding back the growth of the PC
industry. I spoke to others who are beginning to see this as a key issue.

We must remember that protecting the status quo comes at the price of
innovation and its economic benefits.

Bob Frankston
<http://www.frankston.com/>http://www.Frankston.com

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/