Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: History recalled and some explanation re National Science Foundation to Fund Supercomputer

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 15:29:56 -0400

Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 14:20:31 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Charlie Catlett <catlett () mcs anl gov>
Subject: Re: IP: re National Science Foundation to Fund Supercomputer

Hi Dave-

In the past 24 hours, >In the past 24 hours, SETI@home has been smoking away at a hearty and
impressive 34 TFLOPS, about 3x what we are planning to put in place for
the TeraGrid.

These are different types of capabilities, though, and while we can use
the same units (floating point operations per second) to measure them it's
a bit tricky to try to compare them, much less pit them against each
other.  Some applications will run wonderfully in a very widely
distributed environment, but others require more frequent, or higher
volume, exchange of data between the individual pieces.  We are really
trying to address these types of applications with TeraGrid, and we try to
look for places where we have common challenges and therefore can share
solutions with the innovative stuff happening in the >solutions with the innovative stuff happening in the SET@home
style grids.

There was nothing sneaky intended with the "of its kind" wording- what we
are doing with the Terascale is very different from the good work of the
SETI@Home folks, or distributed.net, Entropia, and others.

But then as far as I can tell you wrote the first paper on grids, about 30
years ago.  So I guess I am preaching to the Pope here!

Best Regards-
Charlie Catlett (DTF network architect), Argonne National Lab

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/