Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Grid computing plus a nasty by your editor

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 09:26:34 -0400

I.B.M. is announcing today a new initiative to support and exploit a
technology known as grid computing, which the company and much of the
computer research community say is the next evolutionary step in the
development of the Internet.

The grid vision is that everyone at a desktop machine or hand-held computer
could eventually have the power of a supercomputer at his or her
fingertips, by amassing the processing power and information resources
attached to networks. Although the idea has been around for some time, the
types of computer hardware and software to achieve it are only now coming
within reach.

<snip>

Grid computing — a concept that originated in supercomputing centers —
holds the promise of transforming the Internet, according to some computer
scientists.

[ I MUST OBJECT. Grid computing did NOT originate in the supercomputer
centers. Way prior to their "discovery",  others, including myself,
proposed similar approaches and built a few prototypes. I know PR people
are sloppy but really!!!!!! ... Dave Farber]

<snip>

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/02/technology/02BLUE.html

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/