Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Behind Closed Doors: Planning the Next Generation DNS?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 04:09:16 -0400

I am sending this to IP for its reporting on the open meeting NOT for the
point of view taken by the author which I happen to disagree with. The
National Research Council is the study arm of the National Academies of
Sciences and performs studies usually motivated by the Government. I have
served on many such study committees and for 10 years served on the
Telecommunications and the Computer Science Board.  The tone of this report
makes it seem that the closed door sessions are somehow bad. My experience
is that they serve a useful purpose in exposing the real facts that are
essential to the value of the resultant report. The panels have in my
experience both been well balanced and very willing to tick off both the
sponsors and the NRC if necessary in order to seek the truth. There have
been attempts to open all NRC panel meetings and the courts, wisely  in my
opinion , have rejected such changes.

These panels do in fact seek the truth. Witness the crypto panel as just
one example of many.

Dave