Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: FCC Meeting Agenda

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 03:13:04 -0400

From: Robert Cannon <cannon () DC NET>

Something is placed on the FCC Agenda when it is largely a resolved
issue.  At the meeting, the Commissioners enter their opinions and
statements for the record, but the decision has been made.  This is not
like a hearing.  There is not testimony from the public trying to change
opinions.  If an Order is being released, comments from the public have
already been collected.  Occassionally things do happen, but usually not
at the meeting itself but instead in the last few minutes coming up to
the meeting.  (The meeting will be streamed live on real audio)

First, let me say I know nothing about this particular item.  I am
talking only in the *most *general* of terms.

This particular agenda item, according to the meeting notice, is a
notice of a proposed rule making concerning how carriers should be
compensated for the exchange of traffic.  These types of issues have
been the subject of open proceedings for years at the FCC.  Take for
example reciprocal compensation, that proceeding has been open in one
form or another since 1996.  http://www.cybertelecom.org/rcomp.htm#fcc
The FCC released a series of working papers on this issue recently.
http://www.cybertelecom.org/rcomp.htm  It is not as if this issue is a
surprise, catching industry off guard with no opportunity to
participate.

In addition, this item is a notice of proposed rulemaking.  The FCC is
not announcing any new rules, instead, the FCC is announcing PROPOSED
rules.  This starts the comment period.  You will have the comment
period in which to make comments.  After that, the FCC almost always
accepts comments through the Ex Parte rules.
http://www.cybertelecom.org/faqs/fcc101.htm  You can file comments or
meet with FCC staff as long as you file something for the record noting
the ex parte with a summary of your argument.

I might also note that the average time frame that an FCC proceeding is
open, and comments is accepted from the public, is, well, I dont know,
long.  Let's look at what is open.
http://www.cybertelecom.org/regulat.htm
* The Open Access NOI has been open since Nov 2000
* Non-Accounting Safeguards Order Remand has been open since Nov 2000
* The Sec. 255 NOI on IP Telephony has been open since Sept 1999
* The Access Charge NOI has been open since Dec 1996
* The ACTA Petition has been open since Spring 1996

All of these are open proceedings in which you could be filing comments
or meeting with FCC staff in ex parte meetings.  Are you suggesting that
these time frames are too short?

-B

David Lesher wrote: