Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Patent Wars....

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 19:45:29 -0400

Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 13:27:56 -0700
To: >>To: dgillmor@sjmercury .com
From: "John D. Trudel, CMC, CPCM" <jtrudel () teleport com>
Subject: Patent Wars....

Dear Dan --

It was good to see your column today, fittingly on Friday the 13th, about
problems in the patent office (PTO). Still, the problems with the PTO go
so much deeper than issues of fees. Don't blame Bush. He inherited this
mess, which I expect will get much worse before it gets better.

It may help understanding if you read the technology laws that Congress
passed in the 1996-1999 period as exactly the converse of what their
titles imply. For example, the "Inventor's Protection Act of 1999" (which
just took full effect last November) served to regulate technology,
destroy innovation by small firms, and allow the theft of U.S. technology
to benefit incumbents and foreign interests. The telecom act of 1996,
allegedly passed to ensure high speed digital access thorough the local
phone monopolies, was a sham (see "telechasm" in the current, May, issue
of Wired) that has choked off the Internet. It eventually destroyed
billions in shareholder value and most of the DSL and bypass firms. The
Digital Millennium Copyright Act is one of the most Draconian attempts to
curb free speech and regulate technology in Western history, etc.

That is why I for so many years -- yes, I am now retired from the patent
wars -- tried to get Congress and the media to pay some attention to what
was happening. So did many others, including a quorum of our Nobel
laureates. Without success.

We once had the recognized best-in-the-world patent system. It's gone.
The current, totally rewritten, patent system does more to allow piracy
and blockage of disruptive technology by special interests than it does
to encourage innovation. It shifts wealth from innovation to litigation.
The new law is so confusing, contradictory, and ambiguous that a steady
stream of cases is already flowing to the Supreme Court. See
http://www.trudelgroup.com/pwars.htm

We've created a monster. Pouring more money into the PTO is NOT the
answer. Let's fix the system before we throw more money at it. Right now
this monster is already doing our economy more harm than good. Making it
larger (as bureaucrats always suggest) will increase, not diminish, the harm.

Peace,

John D. Trudel

John D. Trudel -- author, columnist, speaker, and business innovation guru.

"We help technology and strategy come together to create value."

Based in beautiful Oregon and in Cyberspace

(503) 638-8644 <http://www.trudelgroup.com> <jtrudel () teleport com>

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/