Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Rep. Armey tells colleagues to go slow on privacy, "be careful"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 19:27:35 -0400

From: "Diamond, Richard" <Richard.Diamond () mail house gov>
Subject: Armey privacy memo
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 10:08:32 -0400

Mr. Armey sent the following memo on privacy to his colleagues this morning.
Thought you might be interested.  (It's also online at freedom.gov).

Richard Diamond
Office of the Majority Leader
US House of Representatives
202-225-6007 / www.freedom.gov

TO:             House Colleagues
FROM:   Dick Armey
SUBJECT:        Privacy: For those who live in glass houses
DATE:   April 9, 2001

Americans put a high value on their privacy.  And for good reason.  I don't
want strangers poking around in my business any more than they want me
poking around in theirs.  But new forms of communication like the Internet
present an entirely new challenge for those of us concerned about privacy.

        Figuring out exactly what we must do to protect sensitive
information in this new environment is no easy task.  Many unexpected
pitfalls await those who rush into this complicated, emotional issue.  In
the fast-paced world of the Internet, we must avoid silver-bullet solutions
that will quickly become obsolete or leave ourselves vulnerable to criticism
that the government is not meeting the standards it requires from others.

The Government's Privacy Problems

        Before the federal government becomes too preachy about privacy, it
should review it's own practices.  The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), for
example, thought that it had developed some good ideas for regulating
commercial websites to protect privacy.  The Commission set out its own
privacy principles last May in a report entitled "Fair Information Practices
in the Electronic Marketplace."  The problem was that the good folks at the
FTC were so busy figuring out how to regulate the commercial sector that it
forgot to regulate itself-and they fell into the hypocrisy trap.

Rep. Billy Tauzin and I asked the General Accounting Office (GAO) to apply
the FTC's privacy criteria to the government itself.  Not only did the FTC
fail to meet the very standards it had asked Congress to impose on everyone
else, so did 97 percent of all federal websites surveyed.

        I think we can draw a lesson from this.  The government should
review it's own practices before it becomes too preachy about privacy.

        The IRS knows how much money you make and how you spend it.  The
Department of Labor knows where you work and how long you've worked there.
The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) might well know everything
about your medical history, especially if you are on Medicare or Medicaid.
They all know your name, address, phone number, Social Security number and
maybe even your email address.

        According to a recent study by the privacy organization Privacilla,
once an agency gathers information about you, it will routinely share that
information with other agencies-combining your health, income, and other
records.  That means your complete life history is floating around the
bureaucracy, whether you like it or not.  Some of this information sharing
is probably beneficial, allowing agencies to work more efficiently.  But if
government can't protect all that private information from prying eyes, the
story changes.

        The truth is that the government has a dismal record when it comes
to securing sensitive information.  According to a study last year by
Government Reform Subcommittee Chairman Steve Horn, most federal departments
and agencies received a failing grade for their lax computer security
procedures.  Those failing grades put privacy at risk.

        For example, a Veterans' Affairs Oversight Subcommittee hearing last
year exposed very disturbing privacy problems within the Department of
Veterans' Affairs.  The Department's own Inspector General was able to hack
into the system and obtain control of individual medical records.  The IG
testified that weak computer security exposed the records of individual
veterans to an assault from hackers armed with only minimal skills.

        Unlike many non-VA patients, veterans have no choice about sharing
their medical information and have few options if they are dissatisfied with
the level of protection the agency gives to their medical privacy.
Fortunately, VA Secretary Principi testified last week that the Bush
Administration is taking steps to clean up this mess.

        The VA's problem was no isolated incident.  The GAO recently
revealed perhaps the most disturbing example of the effect of lax government
security.  GAO auditors found during an investigation last year that IRS
computer systems containing tax returns that are filed online were
vulnerable to attack from even a hand-held computer.  According to GAO's
report, hackers not only had the ability to read your tax information, but
they could also modify it. That's a scary thought.  Fortunately, Treasury
Secretary Paul O'Neill has indicated that the Department is addressing this
issue.  It is clear, nonetheless, that the government has some privacy
problems that it must address.

The Law of Unintended Consequences

As you can see, it takes more than good intentions to make good law.  And
some well-intentioned privacy initiatives may actually result in less
protection than existing law.  President Bill Clinton, for example, used his
last hours in office to cobble together a rule designed to protect the
privacy of medical information.  But buried within the expansive text filled
with new regulatory requirements for health care providers is a passage
giving HHS the right to collect all personal medical records from a given
health provider without a warrant or prior notice.  (By the way, Chairman
Horn gave HHS an "F" for its inability to protect personal information.)

It's hard to dispute the goal of assuring patients that they can share
personal information with their doctor or insurance company without risk.
But it's unclear how requiring patients to sign a bunch of disclosure waiver
forms will help protect privacy, improve health care or alleviate patient
anxiety.  What is certain is funneling all that information to HHS is a step
in the wrong direction.  Fortunately, Secretary Thompson has recently
expressed his willingness to review and reconsider these new regulations.

        A legislative or regulatory solution may be the slowest and least
effective way to address consumer concerns.  One of the most frequent
reasons given for the need to enact commercial privacy legislation is that
some consumers refuse to engage in e-commerce because they fear their
information won't be adequately secured.  I haven't made the transition to
online banking myself for that very reason.  Nonetheless, more and more
people are turning to e-commerce, which shows that not everyone is obsessed
with such concerns.

We should remember that these online services have a strong market incentive
to address my privacy concerns if they want my business.  The market is well
suited to adapting and quickly changing to meet new circumstances or to
address the concerns of consumers.  And that's important because the way we
understand the Internet and websites today is changing.

Web sites are simply the way that most of us interact on the Internet
today-that may not be true tomorrow.  Already, a substantial amount of
Internet data, such as stock trades, travels by cell phone or other mobile
devices.  Imagine trying to read a legal privacy notice on your cell phone
before opening that E-trade account.  Should typing your social security
number on your phone keys be treated differently than typing them in on a
computer keyboard?  Imposing notice rules on web sites may be as relevant
next year as requiring airbags on horse buggies.

        Some calling for additional online privacy regulations cite the need
to address things that are, in fact, already illegal-like stealing credit
card numbers or "identity theft."  It makes no difference whether that
information was illegally obtained on the Internet or by stealing your
purse.  Perhaps better enforcement of existing laws will address those
concerns.

        Motivated by the desire to "save" the Internet, others have argued
that if Congress does not act soon, state governments will create a host of
different and even contradictory rules that might derail our borderless
Internet economy.  Even if Congress could preempt these state laws-and I am
not aware of any consensus to do so-rushing to create a single unworkable
federal standard is as bad or worse than having many unworkable state
standards.  Let's not love the Internet to death.

So What Do We Do About Privacy?

        Privacy is a difficult issue, and I don't pretend to have all the
answers on this subject.  Right now, Congress is an inexperienced and
amateur mechanic trying to tinker with the supercharged, high-tech engine of
our economy.  We need to be careful not to let our good intentions get in
the way of common sense.

That doesn't mean that we can't or shouldn't do something about privacy.
Far from it.  It means that we should start with what we know best and have
the greatest ability to affect.  We've already seen that the federal
government needs serious attention when it comes to privacy.  And there are
plenty of things we can do to improve the way the federal government uses
personal information-both in the bureaucracy and in Congress.  We should
clean our own house before dictating solutions for others.

        Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.  And right
now, the federal government's online house is made of pretty thin glass.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/