Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: computer and telecom centers get undeserved black eye for power usage

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 18:00:58 -0400

Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 07:24:04 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu, ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com
From: "Joseph C. Pistritto" <jcp () jcphome com>
Subject: Re: IP: computer and telecom centers get undeserved black eye
  for power usage

I just got done ordering our data center setup at Zaplet Inc. where I used
to work.  The datacenter is at Equinix.

We provisioned it at 2 20amp 120V circuits per rack (42U units of
equipment).  That's not enough for 42U of "1U" servers, but then you have
a huge cooling problem as well if you dump that much power into that small
a space.  The reason we used 2 20amp circuits was for redundency, but i
can see someone actually *using* that much power if they really fill up
the rack space (in which case you'd need to provision additional circuits
but not additional current draw for redundency).

So assuming 20amps @ 120v = approx 2.5KW per "rack" and lets say it takes
*another* 2.5KW to air condition that space (which is overkill, air
conditioning is more efficient than resistive heating, which is
essentially what computers are...), that means approximately a 4 sq. foot
area would have 5KW of draw.  (not including corridors and such).  Or
2.5KW per square foot (high estimate).

So that works out to:
  1.25KW per sq. foot (high estimate for densely packed areas)

We know this is high because people usually quote "available power" in the
200-300 watts/sq. foot range (inclusive of hallways etc.).  275watts/sq.
ft. is a common metric used here for power availability for
instance.  (your lesser dataccenters dont even have that much
available).  (thats direct power draw, not including airconditioning, so
doubling that would be approximately 0.5 KW/sq. ft.  So we can tell my
estimate above from our racks is high, but irrationally so for actual
worst case).

It seems reasonable that a datacenter (aka "server farm") would ask for 10
megawatts of power though. (so 46 of them could well have asked for 500
Megawatts).  I know that *ONE* 2 million sq. ft planned facility in San
Jose is speced at 190Megawatts (the city council is forcing them to put in
a cogen plant with that capacity before building it though...)

I think the 60-100KW/sq. ft. is an arithmetic error though.

    -jcp-

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/