Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Windows 2000 source code : [risks] Risks Digest 21.31

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 16:20:26 -0400

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 17:20:38 -0800
From: Mark Thorson <mmm () winery garlic com>
Subject: Windows 2000 source code

Microsoft Corp.'s decision last week to give its 1,000 top U.S. enterprise
customers access to the Windows 2000 source code has been sharply criticized
by smaller customers.  [Source: eWeek (formerly PCWeek), "Windows Source
Code Deal: Not For All", March 12, 2001, page 20]

  ... even more concern was raised by its implementation language,
  Microsoft Basic.  ``Most of our programmers haven't used Basic since
  college,'' said an IT manager at a Fortune 500 insurance company, ``most OS
  guys don't consider it [Basic] to be a serious implementation language.''

  Mike Conelrad, a senior programmer at an enterprise solution provider
  based in Kentucky, said he is disappointed that Microsoft has only chosen
  to release 'desimonyzed' source code.  ``The original variable names have
  been replaced with code names like A002134,'' according to Conelrad.
  ``That tells me absolutely nothing about the variable.  But with a name
  like wParam, at least I know that the variable is word length.''

  ``Some of the variable names were unacceptable,'' said Microsoft
  spokesperson Lirpa Loof.  ``They used trademarks improperly and had other
  defects which were simply not acceptable in any Microsoft product.''
  Sources close to the Windows 2000 development team indicate that the
  defects include references to Microsoft founder Bill Gates and other
  officers of the Redmond-based company.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/