Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: BUDGET I: "NO SCIENCE, NO SURPLUS: What's New for Apr 06, 2001

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 16:46:15 -0400

1. BUDGET I: "NO SCIENCE, NO SURPLUS."  Within Republican ranks
supporters of a strong science program have been speaking up, and
it seems the President is listening.  First came a widely quoted
New York Times op-ed by Allan Bromley, "Science and Surpluses"
(WN 09 Mar 01).  Bromley observed that the estimated $5.6
trillion surplus over a decade, which is supposed to bankroll the
Bush program, must come from scientific innovation.  "No science,
no surplus," Bromley declared, "It's that simple."  Yesterday,
Bromley's line was quoted in an editorial in the widely-read
Capital Hill newspaper, "Roll Call."  Meanwhile, a letter to Rep.
Young, chair of the House Appropriations Committee, signed by
both Republican and Democratic members, urged that science
agencies, and the NSF in particular, be given high priority in
the budget, putting them back on the doubling track.  The House
Science Committee expressed concern about the "minuscule" budget
increase for NSF in its Views and Estimates report.  The report
was signed by all but three of the Republicans on the Committee.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/