Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: NAB - the Super Nova is imploding

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 16:31:53 -0400

To: OpenDTV Mail List <openDTV () topica com>
From: Craig Birkmaier <craig () pcube com>

Sender: <openDTV () topica com>

NAB 2001 - The laws of physics still apply

Throughout history we have seen examples of the role that technology can
play in facilitating major shifts in power...those radical shifts that
dislodge well entrenched interests allowing new "eras" of history to
begin. One oft cited example is the invention of the printing press, which
made it possible to break the stranglehold that the institutions of that
time (principally the Catholic Church) held on the dissemination of
information to the masses. Before the printing press, books were produced
by hand, mostly by Monks - those who were privileged enough to own a book
were among societies elite, but more important, they controlled knowledge
and made certain that it conformed to the prevailing beliefs of the day...
like the notion that the Earth was the center of the universe.

In modern times we have witnessed major changes due to shift from an
agricultural to manufacturing based economy; From horse drawn
transportation to vehicles with "horsepower" to spare. And now we are
seeing yet another sea change due to the ease with which we all can
create, distribute and share information in the emerging digital world.

Earlier this year at "Morning After" session at the ITS Technology
Retreat, John Sprung created a mental picture of the current mess we are
in with the transition to digital television broadcasting. John repainted
the image we have all seen many times of Wiley E. Cayote, having run off
the cliff, hanging in space, in suspended reality, just before the big
fall. Sprung indicated that this is exactly where we "stand" today with
the DTV transition.

Well that was in February. As hard as it may be to believe, things have
changed dramatically in just two months. The broadcasts business is no
longer hanging in suspended animation...the bottom just fell out and Wiley
and his ATSC standard have come crashing to earth.

The irony of this is that it has absolutely NOTHING to do with technology.
The bottom has fallen out of legacy broadcast business models worldwide.
It matters not whether we are talking about ATSC or DVB-T, 8VSB, E-VSB,
COFDM or ISDB-T. The fundamentals of the business are finally giving way
to a new reality...

TV Anywhere
TV Anytime

What You Want Is What You See

The days of herding the masses round the TV set to drink the "kool-aid"
from the government supported propaganda machines is finally coming to an
end; in truth it has existed in suspended animation for nearly a decade.

In the U.S. the broadcast establishment is fracturing from within. In
Great Britain the grand experiment with DVB-T has hit the wall. The ITV/On
Digital crowd has finally awakened to the reality that they are not
competing with one another, but with the Death Star controlled by Rupert
"Darth Vader" Murdoch and Newscorp.

Everywhere one looks the reality is the same.

Any business model based on trying to force people to sit down at a
specific time to watch a program is withering. Meanwhile, business models
based on accumulating targeted audiences over time are gaining momentum.
In an era where we are constantly bombarded with messages that we don't
want, people are willing to pay a premium for the content - AND THE ADS -
that they do want.

While I did not have time to attend the NAB keynote in person, I found the
remarks of Eddie Fritts (which follow) to be quite revealing. Seems Mr.
Fritts and company have finally discovered that broadcasting cannot defy
the laws of the Universe forever, even with the help of their friends in
Congress who have given them every possible competitive advantage.

The "product life cycle" of NTSC has defied all logic. Somehow it has been
possible to milk this business for more profits, even in the face of
decline...a negative slope to the end of the product life cycle curve. But
this time the bottom really has fallen out. Broadcasting has taken that
final step off the digital cliff.

The spin machine is busy trying to tell us that everything is OK now that
that nasty modulation issue has been put behind us. But U.S. broadcasters
know otherwise.

There's a new atmosphere in Washington. It's deregulatory. We gave you
what you asked for, and now we are going to watch as you feed upon one another.
Regards
Craig Birkmaier
Pcube Labs

Edward. O. Fritts
National Association of Broadcasters

NAB2001 All Industry Opening
State of the Industry Address

April 23, 2001

Good morning and welcome to NAB 2001.

Let me tell you about three totally unrelated things that I've heard on
the news recently, and then let me tell you what I think they mean to the NAB.

Number one ... astronomers have made a discovery regarding supernovas.
This discovery apparently could alter our very conception of the universe.

Two Š the president of Russia has changed the lyrics to that country's
national anthem. In place of the old Soviet lyrics about Lenin and
communism's triumph, the new lyrics instead celebrate a "holy country ...
protected by God." Quite a change.

Three ...in February, E-toys announced that it was seeking bankruptcy
protection. Its stock, which had once been as high as $86 a share, was
down to nine cents a share when trading was stopped.

Now, here's my point Š if scientists can alter something so basic as their
conception of the universe, if Russians now sing of God rather than Lenin,
if Internet high fliers can so quickly rise and crash to earth ... should
we expect radio and TV broadcasting to be immune from such wrenching
change? The answer, of course, is no.

Broadcasting's universe IS changing. The real question is how we meet
these challenges.

On top of the technological, financial and political challenges
broadcasters face, we now face the added challenge of division within our
own ranks. Rather than focusing 100 percent on meeting the challenges from
without, all of a sudden we are challenging ourselves from within.

What I'm talking about, of course is the split between the affiliates and
the networks. Never in our industry's history have tensions been so high.

In the old Soviet national anthem that I just mentioned, they used to sing
about, quote, "an unbreakable union of republics." The Russians removed
that phrase in the new anthem.

Some would suggest the concepts of union and unity have been removed from
the NAB anthem.

This is an unsettling time in any number of ways. There are those who
worry about the future of our association and our industry. Well, I can
tell you that I have total confidence in the future of the NAB. We will
continue to be a vibrant, aggressive advocate for free broadcasting. We
will remain strong, committed and effective ... with membership in all 50
states and in every congressional district in this nation!

Over the last decade, we have an enviable record of public policy success.
We've had victories in the Congress, the FCC, the courts and even in the
Supreme Court. These victories don't count the scores of other actions
harmful to free broadcasting that we've stopped, sidetracked or finessed.

We haven't succeeded, however, just because OF OUR political expertise. We
have been successful because free, local broadcasting is a public service
and a public good. Neither this mission nor our credibility is about to
disappear. Our members, who are integral parts of their communities, are
not about to abandon their commitment to localism.

What we're experiencing right now is nothing new. I don't want to minimize
the hurdles before us, but we've had discord in our ranks before. There
was a time, for instance, when radio was deeply divided, but they came
back together for the common good. The NAB is still here doing what we
need to do ... and we will continue to do so.

And it's a darn good thing we ARE here ... Because our industry DOES
confront some big challenges. Since we met a year ago we have a new
President, a new Congress and a new FCC. While we generally expect to
benefit from a lighter regulatory touch, some issues will be more difficult.

Additionally, our economic playing field has been reversed in the last few
months. For example, this industry is in the most difficult advertising
market since the late '80s, early '90s. Added to that economic reality, we
are up against more competitors than ever before -- satellite, cable,
broadband, the Internet. All this is occurring at a time when we're faced
with the very expensive transition to digital. The very future of
broadcasting rests on the successful completion of this transition.

Tennessee Williams said, "There is a time for departure even when there is
no place to go." Now ... we all know where we must go -- to digital. The
hard part is the logistics of bringing it about.

This country faces a choice between two timelines. Either marketplace or
governmental ... We can follow the marketplace timeline ... in which case
the transition to digital will be elongated over many, many years. Or, we
can follow a government deadline that forces consumers to replace nearly
300-million analog TV sets in just five years. I submit that if we follow
the government timeline, there needs to be minimal government intervention
to facilitate the needs of consumers.

Today, for instance, if a consumer purchases a new digital TV set, takes
it home, and plugs into cable, and turns it on, they will learn it doesn't
pick up free, local broadcast channels. How does that benefit consumers?
What's wrong with this picture?

We contend there are three obstacles standing in the consumer's path to
digital broadcasting. One, the cable gatekeepers must carry the local
broadcast channels offering digital and HDTV programming. Two, TV
manufacturers must put DTV tuners in every new set that is made. Consumers
want and deserve sets that will receive both analog and digital. Three,
the issue of DTV/ Cable interoperability must be resolved. It is not
simple, but none of these issues are.

Congressman John Dingell has said that the barriers to DTV transition may
be "too great to overcome without additional government intervention." He
is absolutely right. The transition to digital in this country has been
handled about as effectively as California handled the deregulation of energy.

WE are working to resolve these issues with the consumer electronics
association. A sign of our partnership can be found at the DTV Store in
the lobby of the Las Vegas Convention Center. On display there is a wide
variety of DTV receivers available to consumers today. Most importantly,
that display sends another important signal -- that broadcasters are
committed to the DTV transition.

On the other side of the aisle, Radio faces its own digital challenges but
the signs look good for the iBiquity system providing in-band, on channel
digital radio. We're excited about recent announcements from iBiquity
denoting steady progress toward adoption of IBOC digital radio.

Without a doubt, our biggest victory last year was in scaling back the
FCC's Low-Power FM plan. This was a true victory for spectrum integrity.
It was a tough fight. It took the entire year, but the NAB, the 50 State
Associations and hundreds of local broadcasters protected the airwaves
from increased interference.

Battles such as this are why we exist as an organization. Unfortunately,
all victories in Washington are temporary ... and nothing demonstrates
that more clearly than the latest moves to reverse the LPFM legislation.
Senator John McCain recently introduced a bill that would roll back the
LPFM legislation of last year. So here we go again.

Another challenge emanating from Washington is the so-called "campaign
finance reform legislation. The truth is that it benefits the politicians
but does nothing for the voting public. McCain Feingold is a clever means
for politicians to buy even more air time for their negative ads. What's
happening here is that the politicians have voted to give themselves the
cheapest rates during the most valuable time slots. As Senator Don Nickles
has said, "This is better than free time." They have granted themselves
special privileges unavailable to the fast food restaurant or the auto
dealership in the local marketplace. In the words of Chairman Billy
Tauzin, "Why should a politician pay a lower rate than a Ford dealer?"

The issues we face are indeed daunting. I call on broadcasters all across
the country to redouble their efforts to meet these challenges. What we
provide is a free, local service to the community. Broadcasters also
provide over $8-billion a year in public service announcements and funds
raised for local charities and disaster relief. What we provide is a
public good, and that deserves defending.

At the end of the day, our internal issues will be resolved, one way or
another. Then what? Will the NAB remain an umbrella organization? You bet
we will. Some say that this umbrella approach -- radio and TV, large and
small, network and affiliate -- is our weakness. I believe it is our
strength, a strength that has given us many victories over the years.

And I publicly want to thank ABC for remaining with us. We value your
standing side by side with us, in spite of your disagreement on the issue
of the 35% ownership cap. We want to acknowledge your independence, your
larger vision, your commitment to the long-term good of the broadcasting
industry.

Ladies and gentlemen, everything is still in place to continue our record
of success. We never like to lose a member, large or small, but we are
neither diminished nor demoralized. I can say with absolute confidence
that we have the means and the members to continue the fight. We know who
we are and we know where we're going.

We are going onward.

We are going upward.

And we are going forward.