Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: SONY TO ASSIGN IP ADDRESSES TO ALL PRODUCTS: THE ASIABIZTECH NEWS FILE: Volume 187.3:04/27/01

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 16:46:40 -0400

Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 12:15:45 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Dave Crocker <dhc2 () dcrocker net>
Subject: Re: IP: SONY TO ASSIGN IP ADDRESSES TO ALL PRODUCTS: THE
  ASIABIZTECH NEWS FILE: Volume 187.3:04/27/01

Dave,

A fundamental problem with the article is that IP addresses cannot be
pre-assigned to devices the way ethernet addresses are.  That is because
IP addresses are assigned by network topology.  In other words the address
is based on where the device is attached.

There might be some IP address "enablement" that Sony plans, but it cannot
be as definitive and permanent as the article declares.

d/